SIMPLE MACHINES FORUM
SMF in short is a free, professional grade software package that allows you to set up your own online community within minutes just like Afriwap.com. Its powerful custom made template engine puts you in full control of the lay-out of your message board and with our unique SSI - or Server Side Includes - function you can let your forum and your website interact with each other.
SMF is written in the popular language PHP and uses a MySQL database. It is designed to provide you with all the features you need from a bulletin board while having an absolute minimal impact on the resources of the server. SMF is the next generation of forum software - and best of all it is and will always remain completely free!
Some of SMFs General features include:
Comprehensive template system.
Advanced permission and user management.
Supports multiple languages at once.
Open and well-documented source code.
Tracking of new and old unread topics, not just from your last visit.
Designed for optimal performance and scalability.
Multi-media output. (XHTML, XML, RSS, WAP)
Multi-language support from a large community.
Package manager that automatically installs or uninstalls mods (also known as hacks.)
Search the entire forum, a category/board or within a topic.
Search within your personal messages.
And much more!
You can download the latest release of SMF from the download page on the official Simple Machines website
There are a number of packages available. As this guide covers fresh installs, you should download one of the "install" packages, which contain all the files needed to get the forum up and running. If you are not sure which archive type to download, we suggest you download the zip option as this is most common and therefore you are most likely to have the tools required to unzip it already installed on your computer.
It is important that you unzip the package ensuring you keep the directory structure. If you are using Windows XP, the easiest way is to right click on the file you downloaded and select the "extract all" option and follow the wizard. If you are using another Windows version you can use WinZip or a similar program. If you are using another operating system, then use an archiving program of your choice.
HOW TO INSTALL THIS SCRIPT MANUALLY
You can download SMF 2.0.6 here
After downloading to your Pc copy all the files in the folder and Upload them to your public html root folder.
After uploading the files, go to http://www.yourdomain.com/install.php
(or the directory name you choose). If the first page comes up with a dialog requesting FTP information this is because you are running on a Unix-like server. At this stage, just enter in your FTP details and the install program will attempt to set permissions on your server accordingly. If, however, you wish to do this manually or this initial step fails simply connect to your server with your FTP client and change the permissions on the following files and directories to 777*. On most client software, this is achieved by right clicking on the files you wish to change, and going to Properties, CHMOD, or Permissions, and then typing in the number.
The following files and folders should be CHMOD'ed to 777*:
* If your host does not allow 777 permissions please try 755
HOW TO RUN SMF INSTALLER
Assuming the previous steps went well, you should now have the SMF source files on your server with their appropriate permissions set. All that is needed now is to run the install.php file to configure your database, settings and admin account.
Open up your web browser and browse to http://www.yourdomain.com/install.php
(where smf is the directory name you chose earlier). Provided you set the permissions correctly on Settings.php and Setting_bak.php, you should see a form asking for various settings. Fill these in as follows:
- Forum Name: This will be the name of your forum. It starts as "My Community" but you should probably change it.
- Forum URL: This is the url your Forum will be located at, the SMF installer should have worked this out for itself so in most cases you can leave this setting at its default value.
- Database type: Select from a list of supported database schemes you are able to use. If MySQL is available, it is generally recommended to use that as it has been tested and supported in SMF since SMF was first released. Newer schemes such as PostgreSQL and SQLite may have more bugs in them, especially while 2.0 is in beta stage.
- Server name: This is where we specify the location of the database.. 99% of the time this will be localhost.
- Username: This is the username for your database. Often you will have to set this up in your web host's control panel. If in doubt, consult your host.
- Password: This is the password for your database. Often you will have to set this up in your webhost's control panel. If in doubt, consult your host.
- Database name: This is the name of your database. Often you will have to set this up in your webhost's control panel. If in doubt, consult your host.
- Database prefix: This is a prefix to the table names in your database. It enables you to run more than one application on a single database. You should generally leave it as smf_, unless you are installing a second copy of SMF on the same database.
Once you have filled in all of the settings, click on proceed, and you will now be asked for details of your admin account; this will create your username on the forum. As a security measure, you are also asked for your database password. Once you have filled in the form, click on proceed
Your Forum is now installed and you can browse to it. However, before doing so, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you delete the install.php file from the server as leaving it there is a major security risk. The installer will offer you a check box to do this, if it fails, you will see a warning on your forum, if this appears you must remove the file manually. To do so, use your FTP program to return to the directory where you installed SMF, locate install.php, select it, and hit delete.
, you have now successfully installed SMF.
**If you wouldnt like to go through all this steps, you can use softaculous web install to install the script automatically**If you have any question ask below